1. Do I need to update my firewall proxy settings in order to connect to the online services?
Yes. To use the online services, the following addresses needs access through your firewall system:
2. I've updated my proxy server but I am still unable to connect to the services via ArcGIS Desktop.
If you can connect to the Esri server through a browser but are unable to connect via ArcMap, you may need to add your proxy server details into your local instance of ArcCatalog, as follows:
a. Open ArcCatalog
b. From the Customize menu, Choose ‘ArcCatalog Options’
c. Select the Connections tab
d. Enter the details of your organisation’s internet proxy server (NB: you will probably need to speak to your IT team to acquire this information).
e. Click Apply
f. Close the dialog and ArcCatalog.
3. I can connect to the web services REST endpoint using a web browser, but I am unable to connect using ArcGIS Desktop. I copied the URL from my browser into the connection dialogue box for ArcGIS for Desktop. What am I doing wrong?
The REST endpoint connection string you use for the web browser is different from the string you enter for ArcGIS for Desktop. For ArcGIS for Desktop it should be:
4. Can I add the map into ArcMap without the Services Add-In?
Yes. This may be useful if you are unable to install the Add-In, for example if you are not using ArcGIS version 10 or above.
See the How to Use the Map and Gazetteer Services page for further details.
The data services provided by Esri UK are secured, so when accessing them from your web application you will need to use some form of authentication. There are three options:
a. A proxy page
b. A static token (a long-lived token)
c. Dynamic tokens (short-lived tokens)
For more information about these, please refer to the the Security Guidelines document.
To use a static token:
Append a “token” parameter to the URL of a Datahub map service, e.g.
To use a Dynamic token:
Use the Identity Manager to generate tokens dynamically
7. After running some Windows updates I get the following error message when using the Services Add-In:
‘Could not connect, please check network.’
The Windows updates may have removed the datahub.esriuk.com address from your proxy server exceptions.
8. When using the Add Map option within ArcMap, I receive a stack trace error message.
Could not connect to URL Stack Trace:
at ESRIUK.DataHub.ArcGIS.AddIn.DataHubExtension.AddAGISLayer(String inUserName, String inPassword, String inName, String inMapUrl) in C:\LocalViewTFS\SourceCode\DataHub_Arc\DataHubArcGIS\DataHubExtension.cs: at ESRIUK.DataHub.ArcGIS.AddIn.DataHubMaps.fmAddOnlineMap.butOK_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\LocalViewTFS\SourceCode\Code\DataHub_Arc\DataHubArcGIS\DataHubMaps\fmAddOnlineMap.cs:
This error message usually indicates a problem with the local ArcCatalog cache. To clear the cache:
a. Disconnect from all the map and gazetteer services in ArcCatalog
b. Close ArcMap and ArcCatalog
c. Open ArcMap and go to the CUSTOMIZE menu > ARCMAP OPTIONS > DISPLAY CACHE tab
d. Press the CLEAR CACHE button
e. Click OK to reconnect to the map and gazetteer services