Seeing GIS becoming more mainstream and the passion people have for it, makes it all worthwhile. This is helping more and more young people realise that a technology career is an exciting and fulfilling one
Carmel uses her extensive knowledge of the capabilities of ArcGIS to support customers at every stage of their GIS journey. Customers considering investment in software, implementing a solution and those needing help tackling issues have all benefited from Carmel’s experience. Customer feedback consistently emphasises her enthusiasm and preparedness for the job at hand, as well as her ability to handle complex technical situations.
Carmel’s own journey began studying geography and town planning in Dublin. There she discovered the power of GIS as a tool for analysis and problem solving. Excited at the possibility of doing more with GIS, Carmel moved to Edinburgh to study the University’s world renowned MSc in Geographical Information Science. Upon graduation, she jumped at the chance to join Esri UK.
Working at Esri today, Carmel enjoys the variety of work and the opportunity to work in different industries and customer environments. “No day is the same!”, she explains, “ I hope to stay and progress through Esri UK because the opportunities we have access to are invaluable. I’d also like to be part of bringing GIS more into the mainstream, I currently explain GIS to friends using Snapchat and Geofilters, it’s an easier and more interesting way of explaining it than years ago!”
Carmel’s business philosophy is to keep an open mind and to make sure the customers’ end goals are always paramount. Esri UK’s customers have found that Carmel makes a positive impact as soon as she joins a project.
- Implemented Esri’s mobile solutions to help ensure that the drilling operations of a UK oil and gas company complied with regulations and standards for Health and Safety.
- Helped a national charity increase its profile, educate the public, and move towards a more mobile way of working.
- Assisted a UK energy company create a rollout strategy for smart meters, identifying where to target their installation.
- Migrating ArcGIS Desktop projects to web-based environments.
- Building enterprise content systems that are secure, yet accessible across platforms.
- Creating practical, effective mobile workforce solutions based on out of the box tools.
- Flexibility to adapt with the business need.
- Tenacious and enthusiastic.
- Ability to deal with whatever is thrown her way.
- BA Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy, University College Dublin
- MSc Geographic Information Science, University of Edinburgh